This dish was another “cleaning out the kitchen” success! It was a little bit of a juggling act since you need to marinate the scallops and cook the polenta for 30 minutes, but it ended up all coming together very nicely at the end.
Ingredients for polenta:
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup polenta
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tbsp. butter
1 red bell pepper
1 large green onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups red leaf romaine lettuce, chopped
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
Ingredients for scallops:
1 lb. fresh or frozen scallops (if frozen, defrost and drain water)
2 tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp. brown mustard
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. Sriracha
1. Place broth and water in a deep sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add polenta. Immediately after the liquids start to boil again, turn down the heat to low. Let mixture sit on the heat and stir occasionally.
2. The mixture will begin to thicken after about 20 minutes. Stir more frequently until the polenta really thickens up and starts bubbling in the middle (about another 5 to 10 minutes). Stir in basil and butter.
3. Take polenta off the stove and transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl or dish. Let it sit for at least 20 to 30 minutes (it will thicken up even more).
4. Marinate the scallops: combine mayo, mustard, and sauces in a small bowl. Add in scallops and gently stir together to coat evenly. Place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
5. While polenta is still cooking, go ahead and roast your pepper. Then chop into bite sized bits.
6. In a small pan, saute the onions and garlic. Turn down the heat to very low and add the chopped lettuce. Let the lettuce sit until it wilts down slightly (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat and let the mixture sit until needed.
7. After the scallops have marinated, saute or grill them in a little olive oil. They cook very quickly (about 1 to 2 minutes on each side) so make sure to watch them closely!
8. Assemble the dish! Place the polenta on your plate. Add a couple of spoons of the onion/lettuce mixture and then some roasted peppers. Top with a few scallops.
Grate Parmesan on top of it all.
Sprinkle on red pepper flakes and salt & pepper to taste.
How is your favorite way to eat scallops?