Ugh. Is this rain ever going to stop?
Sorry Texas, don’t be jealous. I had to wade through calf-deep New York City street water to get home tonight. God knows where that water’s been. Ugh.
On nights like these, I hate cooking. I know, shocking right? All I want to do is curl up on the sofa, have someone else bring me dinner and watch a couple of episodes of whatever tv show we’re marathon-ing at the moment. We just finished Mad Men, and we’re onto Roseanne now. I feel a little weird sharing that – I blame Netflix.
Anyway, when I don’t feel like cooking, I prefer assembling meals from general ingredients that I normally have laying around. Sometimes it’s a quick stir-fry, sometimes it’s just a sandwich, and sometimes (or most of the time) it’s Mexican-influenced.
Tonight was one of those nights. Burritos? Tacos? A bunch of stuff thrown on a tortilla? Whatever you call it, its quick, delicious, semi-healthy, heart-warming and just what I need after a long day of work.
Here are the steps in no particular order.
1. Saute whatever veggies you have laying around; I had a yellow bell pepper and onion.
2. Chop up some tomatoes and parsley and throw them in a bowl. Add a bit of salt and chill until you sit down to eat.
3. Saute some protein. This time it was smoked chicken sausages.
4. Heat up some beans. I happened to have some Trader Joe’s fat free refried beans on hand (YUM). If I didn’t have these, I would have probably used black beans.
5. Heat up a couple of tortillas and assemble.
6. Top with some cheese slices and sriracha.
Other easy toppings to try out are shredded lettuce, rice, salsa, sauteed spinach, roasted peppers, baked tofu, or grilled veggies. Your imagination is the limit!
What TV show are you marathon-ing right now?