This post is dedicated to my parents; die hard Alabama football fans, and the most supportive parents that a kid could ask for!
I’m not the biggest sports fan, and probably attended about two tailgating parties during college (more for the beer and comradery than the game itself) unless you count four years of participating in celebrating Little 500 week at Indiana University…that’s a whole other story.
But, like I said, my parents are huge football fans and attend more tailgating parties in one season than your typical frat boy.
Needless to say, they are much cooler than me.
When you’re that social, you need a great recipe to bring to all those parties. Even better, a dish that is a crowd-pleaser, easy to eat and named for the home team.
The three steps look much more complicated than the actually are, so if you’re not a chef, don’t be intimidated by making your own sauce and pizza dough. It’ll really be worth it and what’s better than telling your friends while they’re chugging a can of beer and rooting on their favorite team to victory that what they’re eating is completely homemade??
…maybe that’s why my parents are cooler than me.
Mom, Dad, you gave me life. Now I give you Roll Tide Rolls!
Roll Tide Rolls
(inspired from A Stool At The Counter)
1 cup of Quick Pasta Sauce (recipe below)
1 batch of Quick and Delicious Pizza Dough (recipe below)
6 oz. shredded cheese (I used Trader Joe’s Quattro Fromaggio)
6 oz. sliced pepperoni
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes (optional, but suggested!)
1 tbsp. dried oregano (optional, but suggested!)
1. Make pasta sauce.
2. Make pizza dough.
3. Preheat oven to 450*.
4. On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough with a rolling pin into about a 17 x 12″ rectangle and about 1/4″ thick.
5. Spread on sauce, covering the entire surface.
6. Sprinkle on cheese and generously layer on pepperoni. Sprinkle on pepper flakes and oregano, if using.
7. Carefully roll up pizza lengthwise. Cut roll in half and transfer onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until dough has stiffened up and is slightly browned on top.
9. Let loaves cool for 10 minutes and then slice width-wise into about 1/4″ thick rolls.
10. Serve and watch smiles erupt on the faces of your friends and family!
Quick Homemade Pasta Sauce
makes 3 cups sauce
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. basil, chopped (I used two Dorot frozen basil cubes)
1/4 cup olives, pitted and halved
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Add in pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. In a blender, combine onion & pepper mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
3. Blend until smooth.
Quick and Delicious Pizza Dough
(adapted from this recipe on allrecipes.com)
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1. Proof the yeast in a medium bowl: dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, salt and oil until it forms a smooth dough. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stay tuned for Roll Tide Rolls, Part II: The Sweet Version!