Bacon? Garlic? Butter?
On my list of All Time Favorite Ingredients, these three all make it to the top five…
… and their combination makes these biscuits insanely irresistible. I want to have a brunch potluck just so I can share them with everyone I know; spread the buttery bacony biscuit love!
Buttery Bacon and Garlic Biscuits
Makes about 10 biscuits
(Adapted from Craig Claiborne’s Whole Wheat Bacon Biscuits, The New York Times Cookbook p. 641)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup butter, softened to room temperature
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup almond milk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Preheat oven to 450*
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into small chunks and us an electric mixer to blend.
3. Stir in bacon, garlic and milk by hand until a dough is formed.
4. Lightly flour a board and knead the dough for a minute or so, until the it is no longer sticky.
5. With a rolling pin, roll dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut biscuits into about 2 inch circles (I used the ring from the top of a mason jar).
6. Place on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are slightly browned on the top.
These would pair nicely with a big bowl of Savannah Beans and Greens…I’ll have to remember that when the weather gets a little cooler.
What are your top five favorite ingredients?