I don’t really have much to say about this sauce other than “OHMYGODYOUHAVETOTRYTHIS!”
Spicy Basil and Black Olive Pasta Sauce
1 small onion
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
1 can diced tomatoes
3 tbsp. tomato paste
4 oz. can roasted green chili peppers, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes (if you don’t like spice, just omit these)
1 tbsp. arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic in the olive oil on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
2. Add in olives, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili peppers, basil and red pepper flakes and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spoon 3/4 of the mixture into a blender and add arrowroot flour. Blend until smooth.
4. Add the blended sauce back into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Serve over pasta and garnish as desired. I grated some fresh parmesan and topped with chopped green onions.
The texture is perfect in this sauce. It’s just like it came out of a jar but ten times more fresh and flavorful than anything you can buy in the store. I think next time I’m going to add in some more veggies to give it a vitamin boost. Maybe some spinach, carrots and zucchini? I’m definitely hooked and its going to be hard to try any other sauce!
What’s your go-to pasta sauce? Is it homemade or from the jar?