I had an exhausting week of work and wasn’t feeling my best today. My head knew that I needed extra vegetables to boost my immune system, but my heart wanted comfort food. After a angel-on-one-shoulder-and-devil-on-the-other type of debate, it hit me….make the comfort food, but jam-pack it full of hidden vegetables!
1 tbsp evoo
3 cloves garlic
3 cups frozen vegetables (any variety, I used green beans & broccoli)
4 c. water
2 can diced tomato
1 small can fire roasted chilies (or you could use fresh)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/3 c. barley
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 can kidney beans
1 can chickpeas
2 cups spinach
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in a large pot.
2. Puree frozen vegetables and water in a blender.
3. Add vegetable puree in with the onions. Add spices, tomatoes, chilies, tomato paste and barley. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the barley is cooked.
(this picture grosses me out, but it’s so oddly beautiful!)
4. Add beans and cook until they are heated through (about 4 to 5 minutes).
5. Add spinach and stir until it’s fully wilted.
6. Salt and pepper to taste
Some topping ideas: shredded cheese, green onions a dollop of homemade yogurt, and ALWAYS plenty of hot sauce!
How do you make sure to eat all your vegetables?