We got a couple of bunches of turnips in this week’s CSA. I’ve never cooked one before, and this is what turned out!
1 batch quick and easy pizza dough (recipe below)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium turnips, diced
1 pound ground turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. Vegeta
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
Chopped parsley (for garnish)
Grated parmesan (for garnish)
Quick and Delicious Pizza Dough
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1. Proof the yeast in a medium bowl: dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, salt and oil until it forms a smooth dough. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
After the dough is prepared, begin cooking the filling:
1. In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and a pinch of salt and saute until onion is translucent (about 4 minutes). Add the turnips and another pinch of salt. Sautee until turnips are tender (about 7 minutes).
2. Add in the ground turkey and continue to saute until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
3. Add in the frozen vegetables (I used the chopped carrots, peas and green bean mixture….you know you use them too.) . Add tomato paste, spices and soy sauce. Cook until the vegetables are no longer frozen (1 to 2 minutes)
4. Spread out half of the pizza dough on a prepared baking sheet.
5. Spread a shallow layer of the filling over dough, leaving about an inch of empty dough around the border. Note: you will not be using all of the filling…you will have leftovers!
6. Roll out the second half of the dough onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll it out as thin as possible, trying to match the general shape of your bottom layer (in my case, rectangle). Carefully, take the rolled out dough and place over the filling. Pinch the edges of the dough together. You might need to do some patching if your top layer tore a bit.
7. Cook at 375* until the top is browned (mine took about 15 minutes).
8. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.
9. You can serve immediately, but it is also delicious as leftovers.
This dish really looked impressive, like homemade pies always do. Show it off to your friends at your next eating get together!